Wednesday, May 19, 2010

How much should I water my golden cane palms?

I bought some golden cane palms in May, all about 6ft-7ft tall. They initially appeared to be doing well, but now the fronds at the top are burning off (turning brown) and those lower down are drooping.





I am wondering if I am either over-watering or under-watering the plants. I was initially advised by the nursery where I bought them to give them each about 2 litres of water every couple of days, which I've been doing. Now it's been suggested to me that I need to water them more - perhaps as much as 10 litres initially as the root balls may have dried out. Does this sound correct? Or have I been giving them too much?





I live in Brisbane, Queensland, where we are currently on Level 5 water restrictions due to drought so I'm trying to restrict my water use, however I don't want my palms to die either. Do they need more water? If so, how much would you recommend?

How much should I water my golden cane palms?
From:


http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/38367/





"Clustered non branching stems with fronds that are subdivided and arching. LIGHT:Medium to high. Does well near an east, west, or south window, filtered light, or location receiving 1000 footcandles or more. WATER: frequent. Water thoroughly, keep soil evenly moist to touch (not saturated). Don't let sit in water. TEMPERATURE:


Medium. 61 - 70 (degrees F) days, 56 - 65 nights. HUMIDITY:


Average FERTILIZER: Every 4 months SOIL MIX:1 part sterilized garden loam, 1 part clean coarse sand or Perlite, and 1/2 to 1 part sphagnum peat moss. PROPOGATION:


Division. SELECTION GUIDE: Select sturdy, shapely, healthy plant free from insect and disease damage. New leaf growth is desirable. Avoid those with yellow or brown leaf margins, wilted or water soaked leaves. CARE: Moderate. Lives well under average home conditions. Attractive with moderate maintenance. PROBLEMS:Root rot: Provide adequate drainage. Do not let plant sit in water.Spider mites: Wash with soapy water and apply miticide."


No comments:

Post a Comment