Friday, May 21, 2010

What are the golden cocoons falling off my Live Oak trees in New Orleans since August?

My yard, car, driveway and deck are covered in a gold colored cocoon that seems to hang on the bottom of the leaves of my Live Oak Trees. They are everywhere, like little cotton balls and there seems to be no end in sight for their presence in my yard, under the hood of my car, inside the house, etc... What are they? I have never seen this before in 35 years of living in New Orleans. Does it have anything to do with global warming?

What are the golden cocoons falling off my Live Oak trees in New Orleans since August?
Not sure if it has anything to do with global warming, unless that's changing the environment where you live so that pests have a greater chance of survival. Without seeing the items it's hard to guess - take some (in a plastic baggie) to your local Master Gardener or Botanic Garden place (you can find them on the web) and they should be able to ID it for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment